Borgo Ognissanti is a long road to the west of the center of Florence, which owes its name to the church of All Saints. Runs parallel to the Arno and goes from Piazza Goldoni al Prato of All Saints. The streets called “villages” were those who left the gates of the ancient circle of walls.
There is planted numerous workshops for the production of wool, following the arrival of the humble. They founded the first church of All Saints, then enlarged and embellished over the centuries. The area was traditionally controlled by the Vespucci family, patrons and benefactors of the nearby church and other institutions along the way.
The road, which is characterized in the first part by numerous noble palaces, continuing towards the borders of the center, rarefied homes to make room for more simple and popular, a typical time of the more remote areas, that is, behind the walls. We will show here a number of monuments, churches, palaces, framing the beauty of this road, not for its beauty and historical interest, the most popular moving towards Porta al Prato.
The church of All Saints (1.) Dominates with its baroque facade of Florence the homonymous square in Florence. The church, started in 1251 was part of the monastery complex of the Humiliated, an order Lombard arrived in Florence in 1239. Can be seen among the many works The large wooden crucifix by Giotto (2.), (450×360 cm, originally higher) restored in 2005, the work of beauty. The fresco of the Madonna of Mercy (3.), Domenico Ghirlandaio, which is said to have been portrayed the young Vespucci. In 1480 Botticelli and Ghirlandaio painted two frescoes in the apse a pendant, now removed and placed at the center of the nave. The Botticelli drew Augustine in his study (4) on the right, while the Ghirlandaio painted the Saint Jerome in his Study (5) on the left.
The square was created in the thirteenth century to allow copious faithful to attend the sermons of the Humiliated by All Saints Church, like other large city squares that because of the popularity of religious orders were paving (Piazza Santa Maria Novella, Piazza Santa Croce, Piazza Santo Spirito and Piazza del Carmine). Even the name dates back to this period, although from 1860 to 1930 was called Piazza Manin. The square underwent a change with the creation of the Lungarno, the expanded and regularized, as he was knocked down un’ottocentesca cleared the river, supported by pillars pietra.Il Cenacle of All Saints is a small museum environment of Florence, located in the refectory placed between the two cloisters of the convent of Ognissanti. There is a large fresco of the Last Supper (400×810 cm) by Domenico Ghirlandaio, dating back to 1480. The work commissioned from the painter already noted, about to go to Rome to paint the Sistine Chapel, the same year the artist always works in fresco of Saints Saint Jerome in his Study for the Vespucci family
Borgo Ognissanti low, the western part of one of the main streets of Florence. This area of Florence is located about 15 minutes walk from the main monuments of Florence such as the Uffizi Gallery, the Duomo, the Bargello Museum, Piazza della Signoria and Palazzo Vecchio, near Santa Maria Novella. This street is mainly residential with this reason there are many grocery stores, bakeries, supermarkets, restaurants and “bar” including (Biancoè). In this area is also situated in the “Stazione Leopolda”, an old train station in Florence, which has been recently converted and prepared to host the exhibition as craft fairs, events, television and fashion, but also for conferences or cultural work. The Cascine Park is the largest park in Florence and is located just 10 minutes. For those who choose to come here in this area, they will find supermarkets, laundries, banks, car rentals, pharmacies and gift shops and also it is always well connected by public transport as it is close to bus stops, tram, to the coach and also the main railway station of Santa Maria Novella. In this frame very characteristic of Florence to live, is Biancoè